I have been thinking about how life can overwhelm us at times and what options there are to overcome these things. Sometimes our problems can stem from toxic people in our lives, bills, lack of sleep, being overworked, and several other things. Sometimes we cant necessarily eliminate the problem all at once, so what can we do to relieve some of these problems? I've been researching and thinking a good bit on this lately and here are a few things I've come up with. These things are on my list to de-stress and help ease my mind.
1) Eat better. There are tons of foods packed with health benefits not only for your body, but also for your mind. Eating better will help your body inside and out and will help brain functions!
2) Get a change of scenery. Being trapped in the same space all the time can cause anyone to feel sad. Seeing the same thing or the same room day in and day out can do a number on your mental health. Get out and explore even if you just walk around a park or a mall. Get out and see something different.
3) Read,write, paint, or draw outside! Get out of the house and find a cozy spot outside. The natural vitamins you receive from the sun will make you feel amazing! Grab a book or pen and paper and head outside. Create a cozy spot on your porch or head to a local pool or park and get lost in something you enjoy.
4) Take a walk. Walking not only promotes heart and body health but mental health as well. Any form of exercise boosts your brain and helps eliminate stress! I plan on starting to take walks at different places each day. I live in Charleston, SC and we have some great beaches and amazing scenery downtown Charleston. I think The Battery and Waterfront Park are two great places to start!
5) Find a hobby or restart one you love. I had tons of hobbies and fun pastimes I used to love. For some reason I stopped. I loved to create things! I did everything from home decor DIY projects, making jewelry, painting, and repourposing old items. I basically stopped doing all of those things. In the few moments of spare time I have I usually end up doing laundry or household chores. It seems like I have no time to enjoy anything. It is definitely time to restart one or more of these hobbies and enjoy a creative outlet!
6) Create your own space! It doesn't matter if you live in a house full of people or if you are the only one in your home it is important to create a space that is yours! If you have you live alone than it is easy to create a huge environment that screams "you", but that can be a difficult task if you have a house full of people! I have two sons and a husband who seem to take over the entire house. I feel like everywhere I look there is something that screams "boy" ....from video games to bow and arrows that's what I see. I have been working on coming up with ideas for a relaxing and cozy area just for me. I saw this adorable picture on pinterest last week and fell in love. I think this space would be perfect for me, so I am working on recreating something similar just or me! If you know me, than you know this is definitely a "Brandi" kind of space!
7) Read the Bible and Pray. Praying and reading the Word are definitely one of the most calming and helpful things you can do. As a Christian it is important that we feed ourselves spiritually just as we do physically. Without my relationship with God I don't know where I would be. He is my Rock and because of Him I know all things will be ok! My strength is dependent on Him and I know regardless of my trials and tribulations I will get through! Through Him all things are possible and I am truly grateful!!
8) Say NO! Don't be afraid to say NO! So many times we put unnecessary stress on ourselves because we are afraid to say no! We don't want to hurt someones feelings or let them down. Don't think because you say no you are being mean! We cant do everything! We cant take on the world! Sometimes we just need to say no because we have too many other obligations. We might also need to say no because what we are being asked goes against our morals or values. When you say NO do just that! You don't owe everyone an explanation of your reason! No is no and leave it at that! Once you realize you don't have to do everything for everyone your stress will definitely be reduced! Try it, you will feel so much better!
9) Take a "time-out". We all need time alone! We all need to be able to walk away for a few moments and gather our thoughts. Again, this can be difficult if you are constantly surrounded by people. I feel like this quite a bit at times. In my house it seems like the only time I can actually be alone for a few minutes is in the bathroom! Moms, I know you understand this one! If the bathroom is your "saftey zone" then make something out of it. Dont just run in there and lock the door and sit on the closed toilet seat with your hand over your ears! Take time to relax and put your mind at ease! Fill the tub with hot water, light a candle, dim the lights, and put on some relaxing music. Take time to soak in the tub and read a book or just lay back with your eyes closed and enjoy the music. Life is too short to go full speed without a moment to catch your breathe! Now fill that tub and relax! (PS...if I had this tub and view I would never get out!!)
10) Get it off your chest! If something is really bothering you and you keep it bottled up you are bound to explode. Sometimes the key to finally letting go and being able to relax is to get it off your chest. Talk to someone or calmly confront the person who is upsetting you. Talk to someone with an open mind and maybe finally being able to express your feelings will ease your mind. Go to your best friend, spouse, or family and give them some insight to whats been going on in your head. Sometimes having someone with an open ear or a shoulder to cry on can make you feel a million times better. Don't always try to carry the load of the world on your own. God put people in our lives for a reason. Those closest to you will be more than willing to support you through your tough times and can definitely help put a different perspective on things. Sometimes getting their opinion of a situation can really make a difference. We tend to make things seem like they are impossible at times, but having someone else give their thoughts can show us all that whatever the situation there is an easier way to manage it. Sometimes just getting things off our minds and not keeping them bottled up can make all the difference in the world.
I hope you are all having a wonderful week so far! The weekend is right around the corner! If you are having a bad week or going through a tough time please know that tomorrow is another day full of hope and promise. Love and hugs to you all!!