Tuesday, July 31, 2018

A New Healthier Lifestyle & Weight Loss

I mentioned in the last blog post that a lot has happened in the past year. Partnering with the boutique renewed my love for fashion. I can't say that I stopped loving fashion in general, but I didn't like it if it involved me. I think when you get to a certain point in your weight when you feel miserable the last thing you focus on is fashion. My focus was on covering my bumps and bulges the best and most comfortable way possible.

I wasn't going to post this yet. I planned to wait until I had lost more weight, but I decided that it may help others to see the journey. The one thing I am not discussing YET is how much I weigh currently or what I weighed when I started. I'm not ready to announce everything!

The end of May I made a decision that I wanted to stop eating the way I was eating. It seemed like the only things I ever consumed were junk! I ate a lot of burgers, fries, and anything else that was greasy or full of sugar. My two biggest food issues are bread and sweets!

I didn't really obsess over my decision. I didn't map out some elaborate plan like I have in all my other failed attempts. I used to make these crazy goals and strive to eliminate everything under the sun. After a week on those diets I was back to my normal bad habits and the diet went out the window. This time all I did was make a decision to be more conscious about my choices.

The first few weeks the weight actually came off much faster than I thought it would. I was so excited seeing the numbers on the scale decrease and my energy increase! The first time I weighed after I started, which was about 3 weeks in I had lost 17 pounds!

I was so proud of myself for sticking to my guns! I still didn't make an elaborate plan for losing the weight I just stayed away from processed foods and junk. I ate yogurt and fruit most days, and that helped me eliminate any cravings for sweets!

The biggest changes I made were cutting sugar (including sweet tea, soda, and sugar in coffee....I use Stevia now), cutting breads, drinking more water, and staying away from processed foods.

From the time I started in June to now (it is currently July 30, 2018) I have not started exercising yet. I am going to at some point, but so far I haven't tried. I didn't want to overload myself with more to think about or focus on. I think the key factor for me was just getting a grip on my food choices.


I weighed again about a week after losing the 17 pounds and found that I had lost another 5 pounds. Normal weight loss is estimated to be between 1 and 2 pounds per week. I will say that I think that due to the food choices I made prior to starting this my body was probably in a state of shock! I went from eating garbage to eating what I should have been eating all along.

Before I made the decision to change my eating habits I saw a ridiculous amount friends posting about these "direct sales" companies that help you lose weight or get healthy. I can count 5 off hand that I know I see on a regular basis. They all have these 21 day challenges. Drink these shakes or take this pill and lose weight. Oh, don't forget you have to sign up and pay who knows what for a monthly subscription to their shakes, pills, patches, teas, wraps, or who knows what else. I was curious if I could do my own "challenge" without paying to sign up for some gimmick and compare results.

I mentioned before that I didn't plan or map this out. With that being said I didn't keep track of dates either aside from knowing that I started the very end of May and it is currently the very end of July. I know that in two months time I have lost 30 pounds. I also know that I have bypassed the results of the 21 day challenges I've seen. I'm not saying that because I wan't to prove those companies or people wrong. I don't! I say it because learning to eat better and be more thoughtful of what you put in your body can completely change you!

Most times when you go on a diet you avoid specific foods and go on some crazy binge. Binges don't last, 21 day challenges don't last. These are temporary fixes. I'm not saying you won't lose weight while you are doing them, because you probably will. Anytime you eliminate something from your diet you usually see results. The problem is when the "diet" you are on is over you go back to your old habits and usually gain all if not more weight back. That is why I know this is different. This time I can actually say I am not on some random diet. I have changed my choices and thoughts about food and that has made the biggest difference!

I am ending my second month of this new lifestyle change feeling good about my choices. I feel good because I know I am eating what I need and I am not denying myself. I no longer have crazy sugar cravings or think about eating half a tub of ice cream. I don't really think about it at all! I have replaced all the foods I love with better choices and I don't consider what I'm doing as even "trying" to lose weight now. I am going to continue on this journey and plan to keep better track of what I'm doing so I can give a rundown with more details! I know several of you have reached out to me via social media asking how I am losing the weight. I also plan to start being more active, and I will make sure to document that as well! The picture below is not very flattering (half of these aren't for that matter) but I wanted to tell the story behind it. This picture is what made me decide to post this here now.

These white ruffle tops came into our boutique back in May. My business partner messaged me and asked if I could try on the top to see how the sizing ran. I couldn't even get the top on. It wouldn't even go past my arms and I felt awful. It was heartbreaking to know that there was no way I could get this shirt on. A few days ago I was moving around the clothes and we only had a couple of these left. I picked it up and looked at it and then decided I would attempt to try it on again. I can't even explain how excited I was when I put this on and it fit! I didn't struggle to get it on, it wasn't tight, and it actually fit me like it should. That feeling was so rewarding. To know that I made a decision to change and followed through. I did it! I didn't follow some "miracle diet" , I didn't take random pills, I just cut out the junk!


I still have a long way to go, but I am so happy with how far I have already come. I did set my first goal, but this is attainable! I have about 20 pounds to lose before I hit my first goal! When I reach that I will make another goal. They key is not overwhelming yourself with all the "do's and don'ts". I think we make things so much harder on ourselves. There is no magic weight loss pill and no overnight fix. It takes time, but it is so worth it! I can't wait to share the rest of this journey with you! Comment below if you plan to change your eating habits too! Don't forget to follow me on social media! I am moving pages from Flair, so you can add the new one HERE! I am trying to merge my other page, but that is another story entirely! See you guys soon!!

Love and Hugs,

Brandi J.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your sweet comments! They are much appreciated, and I love reading every single one of them!