Thursday, March 17, 2016

Getting into Organizing: Starting with the KonMari Method

We have been working on our house over the last several months. Progress definitely took time due to life's circumstances, but we are back on track. While we did some updating most of our things went into boxes, and unpacking those boxes was definitely not something I was excited to do. You don't realize how much stuff you have until you try to box, pack, or move it!

We still have a ridiculous amount of boxes to move home and unpack. I don't even want to think about that task! I will say that things have gone much more smoothly than I expected. I mentioned before that I have never really had an issue throwing things away, but the KonMari method helped further the progress! Things that I may have saved thinking "maybe" or "I may use this one day" got donated or trashed, and it felt good! To be totally honest the less clutter I see the less anxiety I feel, and that is a good thing!

We have been working on an entire home overhaul. There will be several things that will still take time to update, but the main rooms are finished, thank goodness! I have plans to update both bathrooms (new counters, fixtures, showers, etc. but that takes time). We are also planning on converting the garage into two additional rooms which will include a living space/game room and a laundry room. We will also be adding a sun-room and deck plans in the backyard.

With this being said I am going to go step by step through the updates and do an entire organization series. I will be including the KonMari method of decluttering because, lets face it, it is much easier to organize when you don't have piles of unneeded stuff! I will also include storage items I used, pins I have come across, and tips and tricks I have found helpful.

First things first! If you are ready to get organized then lets get to it! As I mentioned, you need to go through items by category! Start with whatever seems easiest to you! If you are ready to tackle clothes then go for it! Just make sure you go through EVERYTHING in that category! So if you pick clothes then empty your closet, dresser, grab the laundry....all of it! Pick up each piece (yes, each single piece), hold the item, and ask yourself if it brings you joy. Do you feel happy about this item? Do you like how it fits? Do you wear it often? If you doubt that you will wear it, haven't worn it in a long time, the item has defects, etc., then toss it!

sorting

Some of your items are going to be stained, torn, or may have seen better days, so go ahead and trash them. Other items may be great for donating. To start just make a keep pile and a discard pile. If you are up for it after you decide what you are keeping then go through and decide what to donate. The goal is to declutter, not cause more stress for yourself! I managed to rid my closet of 102 pieces of clothes! I am estimating 90 went to donations and the remainder went in the trash. 

on getting organized

Again, if you don't want the stress of deciding to donate or junk it then just donate (or trash) all of your discard pile! I know for some people it causes more worry and you definitely don't want to have bags of "donations" sitting around your house for weeks. If you aren't planning to immediately take your items to donate them, then junk them all! The goal is to get them out of your living space as quickly as possible. 

I want to reccomend picking up a copy of Marie Kondos book! You can find it online or at most bookstores. I picked up my copy at Target for under $12.00. So grab your copy and get started. We will start the process soon! Stay posted for my latest videos and more posts to start our organizing series!


Love and Hugs!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your sweet comments! They are much appreciated, and I love reading every single one of them!