Thursday, August 23, 2012

DIY: Wall Decal and Wall Art

Wall decals are a quick and easy way to decorate a room! These are also a great way to add style without having to paint or hang pictures!

Decals come in a large variety of styles, shapes, and sizes. They can range from a tiny detail to a large mural that will cover your entire wall. This decorating option can get pricey if you decided to cover your wall, but the smaller sizes tend to be very affordable. I really love the newer 3-D style decals! This style offers many fun options for every space in your house!

Here are a few examples of flat and 3-D decal decor!


THE DIY!

 
I thought it would be fun to see if I could make a quick and easy 3-D wall decal. This project was quick, easy, and fun! Here's what you need for this project:
 
*Small wooden letters (Any craft store will have a bag for about $5.00)
 
*Glue
 
*Xacto Knife or Scissors
 
*Paint
 
*Transparent Contact Paper
 
 
 
 
1) Paint your wooden letters in any color you decide. I used a black acrylic paint because I had it on hand. Any paint will work fine. Then let your paint dry. Since the letters were small and this was an unfinished wood surface the dry time wasn't long!
 
 
 
 2) Once your letters are dry glue them to the contact paper. You will want to lay a piece of the contact paper on a flat surface and glue your letters to the clear side. Keep your backing on the paper for this step!
 
 
 
3) Let your glue set. I watched a movie with my husband while the glue dried! Dry time shouldn't take long! Once the glue is dry take scissors or your Xacto knife and cut your word out of the paper.I cut fairly close to the letters. You won't have to cut too close because the contact paper is transparent. You are going to want to leave enough contact paper so it will bond to your surface!
 
 
 4) Make sure your wall is clean and dry, then peel your backing off your decal and place it where you have decided. Press firmly and smooth any of the extra contact paper on the surface. You want to make sure it is smooth and without bubbles. This helps it stay on the surface and will prevent it from falling off!
 


That's it! You're all done! See, it was super easy and fun! Now that I know this idea will work I can have fun with it! I am now working on several other fun decal projects and will post those soon! Let me know how yours turn out! Send me a picture in my comments section so I can see your finished projects!
 
 
 
 

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. this is really clever!! :)

    i'm your newest follower :) feel free to follow my blog back! i'll be giving a 50% discount to my followers for a bracelet i've designed for an online boutique starting in september so keep a look out for that :)


    http://sarablahblah.blogspot.com

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I love it! Esp the butterflies. I must do that.

    www.readydressedgo.blogspot.com

    hugs, Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  3. i follow you back via gfc.
    ema from ifb :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments! They are much appreciated, and I love reading every single one of them!